09 December 2010

A new definition of Cheap Travel to Europe

Is it a new era in Cheap Travel to Europe ? What I mean is this: Are my expectations too low (or is it "too high"? *smile*) I think it is a new day.
What I mean is this: In the good old days I wouldn't call something Cheap Travel to Europe unless I could get over to Europe for $600 or less. If it wasn't under this price, it wasn't cheap travel to Europe. It was something else. It was still usually a reasonable deal, but it wasn't CHEAP.
My most recent check was the closest I've come to reaching this price in the past few months. I looked at airberlin from JFK to Berlin and got it for March (20th through the 28th if you're interested) for just under 600... Euros. So I quickly did the currency conversion and since it takes 1.31 US dollars to make a filthy EURO, that put my price at over $780!! So maybe cheap travel to Europe needs to start meaning $800! The first task in finding cheap travel to Europe is getting there If that's the case, I guess I can go back through what I've found and I may realize that I have found Cheap Travel to Europe several times this year. I just didn't recognize it when I saw it. I was looking for the young cheap travel model that attracted me 10 years... OK, it's been more than 10 years ago (hey now, we're all getting older, right?). I was looking for that Cheap Travel to Europe to look just like she did back then. Well news flash. She doesn't. She's gotten a little bigger over the years. Can't tighten the belt like I used to be able to, you know? Hey, it's nobody's fault (well, oil prices haven't helped!). Cheap Travel to Europe isn't what it used to be. So if you are looking for summer travel, you might even want to put your sights on something around $1000 and change the rules to call that "cheap travel to Europe." Especially if you live left of the East Coast at all. Let's face it: these days cheap travel might be well over $1000 if you are going into the middle or east part of Europe from the middle or west part of US during the high season. So I guess it's only fair that the fare plus taxes (BTW September 11 fees don't help either!) is rising and I can't spend hours and hours looking for a $600 solution any more. It isn't a find, but more like a miracle. Cheap travel to Europe isn't as cheap as it used to be.

1 comment:

Maricar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.