14 December 2010

Cheap travel to Europe helpful sites

Hi again.

Hope you are having a great day and a great holiday season. In looking around at the internet, trying to find more and more ways for cheap travel to Europe I thought about the interesting fact that Europe has traditionally drawn the "backpacker crowd." I remember almost 20 years ago now, when I first set out for a summer in Europe. The plane was full of other young people who were excited about spending time in Europe. Maybe it was then that I first fell in love with the hobby of finding cheap travel to Europe and ever since have always had an eye out for a cheap transatlantic flight. I remember a couple of people on the plane who asked me if I was going to Spain. I didn't have that in the plan. They mentioned to me that they would be there during a certain month and they were staying in a community lodging situation and that I would be welcome. They also mentioned how they were going to a city and when I asked where they would stay there, they said "We don't know yet. But we've heard that if you ask around, somebody will help you and it's really easy to find cheap accommodations in Barcelona, so we are just going to find something between now and then. People do it all the time."
Since that time, I've grown up a lot and even though I am still on the hunt for cheap travel to Europe, I usually part ways with the "backpacker crowd" after we get off the plane. However, there are a couple websites that interest me that are more in the travel way of the good old days and I hope will be of help to anyone who is truly seeking cheap travel to Europe . One of them is pretty region specific and isn't in English, which I hope you can get around using an online translator. It's a Southeast Europe site called www.gorivo.com It's basically a car-pool site offering rides or asking for rides. It's in former Yugoslavian languages, so like I say I hope that doesn't deter you too much. The main djist would be something like: Zagreb-Frankfurt, Zagreb-Beograd (Belgrade) or Bec (Vienna) Rijeka. Usually you split the fuel and tolls, but sometimes it's a flat rate or free for the company or extra helping driver. Use an online translator like babelfish or google to see the specifics. BTW gorivo means "fuel" so if that explains anything.... So if you are looking for cheap travel in southeast Europe and don't mind riding with someone, gorivo.com. You can also post that you are driving and get someone to help you with the fuel and tolls. Hope it's helpful.

The other site isn't exactly just for cheap travel in Europe but will work anywhere and you have probably already heard about it, but just in case you haven't: www.couchsurfing.org. This one is all over the world and people just offer to host you so that they can make the world a better place (I guess). Often you can even get an insider's view of the city as they give you tour. This is a similar thing as gorivo.com to share resources, except you have to become a member and it would help to have a few nice reviews from friends. If you could ride with someone and then stay with someone, that will go a long way in making your travel in Europe cheap! Now if we can only get the airlines to all go in on we-got-an-extra-seat.com. Don't hold your breath!

No comments: